Becoming a Specialist
AFA is calling upon experienced professionals in the field of dementia care to conduct the Excellence in Care Dementia Program of Distinction in their local communities. Organizations/companies can select key staff and/or consultants to apply to become Excellence in Care Specialists. Geriatric care managers and others working independently are welcome to apply as well.
AFA will review all applications.
To qualify, an applicant must:
- Have at least three years recent experience in dementia care (for example, social workers, nurses, administrators, program directors/coordinators, geriatric care managers)
- Hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and/or current license in his or her specific state
- Submit documentation of minimum degree requirements and a resume/curriculum vitae
- Participate in a telephone interview with AFA
Excellence in Care Specialists can have no proprietary, financial, professional, or other personal interest of any nature in the care settings that they evaluate. All conflicts of interest must be disclosed to AFA.
Individuals who are approved by AFA will:
- Undergo mandatory, comprehensive training by AFA and the Avila Institute of Gerontology at a regional training site and pass a written test
- Conduct Excellence in Care Dementia Program of Distinction evaluations of care settings in local communities, using guidelines established for the program
- Consult with settings to improve their dementia care programs to meet the standards of excellence set by the Excellence in Care Dementia Program of Distinction
To apply to become an Excellence in Care Specialist, click here