The Alzheimer’s Foundation of America (AFA), a leading national nonprofit organization dedicated to providing optimal care and services to individuals living with dementia, and to their caregivers and families, developed the Excellence in Care (EIC) Dementia Care Program of Distinction to establish a nationwide standard of excellence for care settings that provide care to individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or related dementias. Through comprehensive on-site assessments, AFA’s EIC specialists work with participating facilities to enhance their dementia programs by examining crucial facets of care, ranging from staff education to the physical environment to meaningful living and active engagement.
Facilities across the country have achieved the status of Alzheimer’s Foundation of America Excellence in Care Dementia Care Program of Distinction, demonstrating their commitment to quality care and meaningful living for their community members.
Once successfully passing the on site evaluation, organizations will receive an Excellence in Care (EIC): Dementia Care Program of Distinction and have access to a number of benefits including:
- Assist families in selecting the best care settings for their loved ones. If a facility has this distinction, families know that the care setting has voluntarily gone through the Excellence in Care evaluation process and has met AFA’s national standard of excellence.
- Stand out from other facilities. Facilities that receive this distinction will be listed on AFA’s Excellence in Care website and have access to use the Excellence in Care distinction status on marketing materials.
- Retain and recruit staff through ongoing and comprehensive educational training
- Be a dementia care resource for individuals living with dementia as well as their loved ones
- Full utilization of AFA resources